• Home
  • How And Why You Should Get Rid Of Mould Due To Water Damage

How And Why You Should Get Rid Of Mould Due To Water Damage

If your property has suffered water damage, one of the first things you’ll want to do is check for any mould. You need to check on the surface or below the surface for any moulds. Surface moulds tend to grow in damp spots, and can be easily removed by scrubbing 


Whereas, when it comes to below-the-surface moulds, it needs complete analysis and only trained and experienced mould removal experts can remove those moulds completely.

Why you should remove mould

Mould can cause health issues

The mould spores are airborne and can get on people, clothing, and even your pets. Luckily, these spores are not harmful to healthy people, but they are still hazardous to the environment. Mould is a fungus that needs moisture and air circulation to grow.

Besides damaging the structure of your home, mould may also cause you health problems. Those who suffer from allergies or respiratory conditions may be particularly affected. It can cause eye irritation, skin rash, and nasal congestion. Some types of mould can produce toxins, which can be harmful to the body. If left untreated, mould can also cause allergic reactions and health problems. So make sure to get rid of it as soon as possible.

If left untreated, it can grow fast

For mould to thrive, it needs organic materials, such as wood and cloth to reproduce. A small area of mould can produce hundreds of millions of spores within a few days. Spores are microscopic particles that can travel through small cracks. The presence of moisture leads to mould growth.

It can cause health issues with children

The health risks associated with mould exposure are significant, especially for children. Children who live in mould-infested homes are five times more likely to develop asthma than their peers. Moulds are also known to cause allergies and are particularly harmful to people with respiratory problems or other airborne allergies.

How to proceed with removing mould due to water damage

The first step in eliminating mould after water damage is to determine the cause of the problem. You need to find out the reason for the water damage and fix the leakage in the plumbing. This will ensure that the walls remain dry and it will stop further mould growth.

Mould is most often caused by a lack of ventilation in an environment with moisture. Water damage caused by leaking fridges or tapes is an example of such a situation. So, when you see mould, it is always better to improve the ventilation and airflow in the room.

Should you remove mould by yourself

Removing mould is a tricky process. Only a trained professional can analyse the impact of the mould. For normal people, we will only see the mould on the surface. But when it comes to mould removal, we need to check whether the mould has spread deep or only a part of the wall is affected.


So, when it comes to mould removal it is better to hire a professional mould removal service. At Premier Restoration, we offer a complete mould removal service. We have a trained and experienced team that will ensure the whole building is free from mould.


Apart from mould removal, we also offer carpet drying, water damage restoration and flood damage restoration service in Brisbane.

leave a comment